Friday, December 29, 2006
It is 5:10 AM and I just finished this painting. It is still wet. The hydrant is right outside our apartment. This is second in a series of Reds. You can see the first one here and I plan to do one more. But first I will finish the ones I have already started and for that I will have to stay up all night again as my little one does'nt let me work. She takes all my brusehs and starts her own paintings. Even though she has her own paints and brushes but she insists on using mine saying, 'I have to show my work to my teacher'.
Saturday, December 23, 2006
Monday, December 18, 2006
You have to post six weird things about yourself and then tag six people.
1. I have to have something sweet for my breakfast everyday and something sweet after every meal. I have my tea almost sugarless but I must have something sweet with it or I can not drink it. I started drinking tea after I got married.
2. I talk to Allah. In my head when I am thinking and working I am always talking to him. Before going to sleep If I ask him to wake me up at 6 am I wake up at exact 6 am without any alarm clock. The days I don't ask him I do not get up without an alarm.
3. I do a lot of silly and clumsy things and then be embarrassed for days. For example a few months back, in a grocery store I was talking to my husband looking for something and did not realize when he moved to the end of the aisle and someone else came and stood there looking for something. I saw the cart and without looking at him I slapped him on his hand saying "Hasan this is not our cart, You took someone else's cart". When I looked at the face I realized what I had done. That poor man stood there in shock. I said sorry to him and quietly stepped away...and then I saw my husband at the end of the aisle looking at me and laughing.
4. I love to watch fairy tale movies.
5. I am active and organized if I have a deadline otherwise I am a lazy bum.
6. I feel every object has a personality and an expression. Like all cars have a face, some have a smiley face and some frown at you. The television we have seems like a happy fat woman to me...so on and so forth.
I tag Aya, I, Zak, Freaks Corner, Ayesha, Reza, Living Away
Seven Things I want to do:
1) do my MFA.
2) lose weight and keep it.
3) donate money to children’s hospital in Pakistan.
4) volunteer to work in PICU (pediatric intensive care unit)
5) be a good human being.
6) to be more organized.
7) travel around the world esp. Egypt, Greece and Italy
Seven Things I can do:
2) art (paint, draw, sketch)
3) fix things in the house.
4) Roller Skate
6) fix my clothes
7) cut hair
Seven Things I can’t do:
1) resist desserts
3) can not hide my feelings and emotions (my feelings and emotions are easily read on my face...which is embarrassing sometimes)
5) read a book no matter how interesting….
6) tell a storey or listen to one.
Seven things I say the most:
5) chalo koi baat nahein
7) pata nahein
Seven Things that attract me to the opposite sex:
3) good sense of humor
4) strong personality
7) good heart
Seven Celebrity Crushes:
Saturday, December 09, 2006
Friday, December 01, 2006
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Monday, November 27, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
the bright sun
enjoying the sun
some pretty flowers
so much fun
the slide is no fun
playing with dirt is fun
oh! so much fun
some spicy and some not so spicy drumsticks
and some kabab
till we got tired...
and it was dark...and time to go home
Sunday, November 12, 2006
You are The Empress
Beauty, happiness, pleasure, success, luxury, dissipation.
The Empress is associated with Venus, the feminine planet, so it represents,
beauty, charm, pleasure, luxury, and delight. You may be good at home
decorating, art or anything to do with making things beautiful.
The Empress is a creator, be it creation of life, of romance, of art or business. While the Magician is the primal spark, the idea made real, and the High Priestess is the one who gives the idea a form, the Empress is the womb where it gestates and grows till it is ready to be born. This is why her symbol is Venus, goddess of beautiful things as well as love. Even so, the Empress is more Demeter, goddess of abundance, then sensual Venus. She is the giver of Earthly gifts, yet at the same time, she can, in anger withhold, as Demeter did when her daughter, Persephone, was kidnapped. In fury and grief, she kept the Earth barren till her child was returned to her.
What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
One thing that I love about her is that she has a heart of gold. If I get angry at her for some reason she’d cry and make it a point to make up with me first, hug me and then tell me that I must not get angry at her because she is a grown up now.
Sunday, November 05, 2006
will be on display at the Brazos Valley Art Center for the month of November.
Saturday, November 04, 2006
This book is about an inquisitive child and a mother's unconditional love for her child. How a mother's love remains constant even if her child were a stinky skunk, scary ape, a bug-eating green alien or a meat eating dinosaur. My almost 4 yr old insists on making me read this book every night. I recommend this book to all mothers. Its so cute.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Read very interesting posts about re-gifting on Wayfarer's and Aisha's blog. My husband and I spent weeks in getting a gift for someone. We both love to give gifts and I enjoy to wrap them beautifully. We have some friends whom you could call “nashukray”. There are so many stories about this nashukri episode but I will tell you the most recent experience. I bought a very pretty baby dress and a stuffed toy for this friend's new baby girl and bought a baseball practice set for their 4 yr old son so that he does not feel ignored. When that friend opened the gift instead of saying thank you or that she liked the gift, she goes you know my daughter got so many dresses that I don’t have space for them in the closet. And she kept saying the same thing again and again in different ways. I could feel my cheeks go red and smoke coming out my ears. To annoy me more she says to her son who was opening his gift ..."Oh! Please don’t open it you might hurt someone…keep it for Pakistan." (keep it we will gift it to someone in Pakistan) They were to leave for Pakistan in 2 weeks time. I just sat there looking at her thinking why the hell I wasted so much money and time on them.
Saturday, September 09, 2006
Friday, August 25, 2006
"The Red Dragonfly"
90lb. cold press water color paper
This is the work from my first class. The instructor, who is a practicing local artist (Barb Starner), showed different effects of water colors on different materials like the water color canvas, clay board, yupo paper and cold press water color paper. This one is done on yupo paper which is kind of glossy and it is very difficult to control the spread of colors. I had to be very bold while doing this one especially as I painted directly on paper...I mean no pencil drawing. It turned out good but I feel that I can still do a few final touches.
Constructive criticism is welcome.